Elmwood School will be offers two Programs of Choice for students for the 2023/24 school year: the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Program and, for Kindergarten and Grade 1, the Chinese Bilingual Program.
Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) PROGRAM
"The important thing is to never stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
Elmwood School is pleased to announce that we will offer the Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program in the 2023–24 school year. The STEM program will be available for Kindergarten to Grade 6.
In the STEM program, students will learn to research and solve real-world problems in innovative ways, and gain a deeper understanding of each of the STEM fields and how they work together. To help decide if STEM is the right choice for your child, learn more about the program and what STEM looks like in Edmonton Public.
There are some common characteristics which are evident in students who find success within the design-thinking philosophy and project-based learning. These include some or all of the following:
- Imagination and curiosity
- Flexible thinking
- Strength in collaborating and communicating ideas
- Ability to work independently and interdependently in diverse group settings
- Persistence—the drive to understand the world
- Creative and critical thinker
- Socially skilled
- Adaptable to change
- Open to working with a variety of tools, technologies, methods, and sources
- Perseverance when faced with new challenges
We encourage families to reflect on these characteristics and engage in discussions with school staff to help determine whether an inquiry approach to learning is appropriate for their child.
Chinese Bilingual Program
Come to Elmwood and join a Division-wide program with over 35 years of proven results and an opportunity to continue student learning from Kindergarten all the way to Grade 12! There is no previous knowledge of Mandarin Chinese necessary to attend. Please call the school to inquire about registering your child in our Chinese Bilingual program for the next school year!
We are excited to add the Chinese Bilingual Program to Elmwood's already superb school culture.
Benefits of learning Mandarin Chinese:
Students benefit from learning a second or additional language as it:
- Promotes problem solving, flexibility and creative thinking abilities
- Encourages students to be global citizens
- Enhances empathy and awareness of diversity and a greater sense of social justice
- Expands career and travel options
Students in the Chinese bilingual program benefit from :
- An immersive experience with 50% of instruction in Mandarin Chinese and 50% in English
- A high degree of proficiency in the language
We offer to students of all ability levels :
- A supportive, warm environment that invites risk taking and expression as students acquire language skills
- Opportunities to experience Chinese culture in the school and larger community
- Authentic language learning opportunities
Please follow the links below for a comprehensive explanation of the program, general information, and registration procedures:
Edmonton Public Schools Chinese Bilingual Kindergarten General Information Video
EPSB Chinese Bilingual Kindergarten Information Package