Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) PROGRAM
"The important thing is to never stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
Elmwood School is pleased to announce that we will offer the Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program in the 2023–24 school year. The STEM program will be available for Kindergarten to Grade 6.
In the STEM program, students will learn to research and solve real-world problems in innovative ways, and gain a deeper understanding of each of the STEM fields and how they work together. To help decide if STEM is the right choice for your child, learn more about the program and what STEM looks like in Edmonton Public.
There are some common characteristics which are evident in students who find success within the design-thinking philosophy and project-based learning. These include some or all of the following:
- Imagination and curiosity
- Flexible thinking
- Strength in collaborating and communicating ideas
- Ability to work independently and interdependently in diverse group settings
- Persistence—the drive to understand the world
- Creative and critical thinker
- Socially skilled
- Adaptable to change
- Open to working with a variety of tools, technologies, methods, and sources
- Perseverance when faced with new challenges
We encourage families to reflect on these characteristics and engage in discussions with school staff to help determine whether an inquiry approach to learning is appropriate for their child.